Expansion is the process by which a chapter is established or re-established on a college campus. At Theta Chi, expansion is managed by the International Headquarters staff with support from the Field Executives.
When assessing prospective campuses for new or restarted chapters, Theta Chi must be selective. The Fraternity cannot afford to invest resources in failed projects, and it is unfair to founding members if they are not supported. When a campus is recommended, or identified by our expansion department, the Fraternity collects information in the following areas:
- Strength of Institution/Greek Community
- Likeliness of Campus Support
- Collegiate Academic Performance
- Alumni/Adviser Support Potential
- Campus/Community Culture
- Housing Viability
- Overall Timing
If the campus is a viable candidate, a site visit is next step. There is great value in meeting with university administration, faculty and staff, potential members, area alumni and community members. All this effort is to determine if Theta Chi and the institution are in alignment.
After further consideration, a campus is then approved or denied as an prospect for expansion. If approved, negotiations with the university begin to take place. If multiple fraternities are interested in expanding, a presentation competition may occur to determine which fraternity will be asked to expand/recolonize. In other cases, such as a chapter closure, a timeline may be negotiated for a future date.
The entirety of this project can take months and even years. If you would like to refer a university please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does it work?
The expansion process is composed of three phases: interest group, colony and chapter:
- Interest group: 1-9 members; a group of collegians who have indicated a serious interest in becoming a chapter
- Colony: 10 or more members; a group of collegians who have formally pledged Theta Chi but who have not yet been granted a charter
- Chapter: 50 or more members; a colony that has successfully submitted a petition for installation to the Grand Chapter and which has been granted a charter
Gamma Mu/Bowling Green
Gamma Nu/New Mexico State
Delta Rho/NC State
Delta Upsilon/Arizona State
Alpha Lambda/Ohio State*
Beta Zeta/Michigan State*
Epsilon Delta/Youngstown State*
Epsilon Mu/Eastern Michigan*
Zeta Alpha/Slippery Rock*
Theta Delta/Santa Clara*
Kappa Epsilon/SUNY Oswego
Kappa Theta/SUNY Geneseo
Kappa Iota/U.S. Military Academy
Kappa Lambda/CSU-San Marcos
Kappa Mu/Point Loma Nazarene
*Indicates a reinstallation